Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Lust for power, fame, and the tawdry glory

Nature of the Politician from Cafe Hayek by Donald J. Boudreaux
Behind all the soaring (if vacuous) rhetoric, all the shamelessly Janus-faced pandering, and all the sleazy campaign tactics lies one motive: each candidate's lust for power, fame, and the tawdry glory that comes with high political office. Make no mistake: while pretending to tug for my heart, these candidates really are tugging for my freedoms and my wallet.
Ignore the rhetoric and follow the money from ~C4Chaos by ~C4Chaos
If you're a regular reader of this blog it's no secret to you that I've been following the 2008 Presidential election very closely.
But here's a confession. I despise politics. I grew up in a developing nation where politics is an open charade and corruption in government is the norm.
When I moved to the U.S. I was impressed by the "civility" and "sophistication" of the political system along with the intellect and educational level of politicians. However, the longer I look and the more I see, I've come to realize that it's the same dirty corrupt politics I was running away from. In fact, due to the superpower status of United States, its corrupt politics is worse and more globally destructive than that of a developing South East Asian nation. So why am I following this election? Well, let me put it this way. I'm not a big football fan but I get ecstatic watching a close match during the Super Bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment